Mayor Owen set to deliver State of the City address on Feb. 20
Mayor Russ Owen will deliver a State of the City address to recap 2019’s legislative highlights and outline proposals for 2020 on Thursday, Feb. 20 in the Brannon Center. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. for a brief social to be followed by the main event at 6:00 p.m. All are welcome!
Advent Health buys 102 acres on SR 44 at I-95
News reports indicate that Advent Health New Smyrna has purchased nearly 103 acres from Geosam Capital for $16.5 million, to be utilized for future healthcare services.
The property is located at the northeast intersection of State Road 44 and Interstate 95, directly across from the Advent Health Medical Plaza, and had been proposed for a shopping center.
Mayor Owen was quoted in a January 16 Hometown News article: “They are already a premier employer in our community, and the hope is that this site will be used to create high-paying medical jobs as well access to improved medical services and facilities for our residents and guest(s). I think this speaks to the desirability of New Smyrna as a place to operate a business as well as a deep commitment to the area by Advent Health.” In the same article, Dr. Dennis Hernandez, AdventHealth New Smyrna Beach CEO was quoted: “Southeast Volusia County is a rapidly growing community, and while we have no immediate plans for this land, we anticipate adding a mix of healthcare services to this location within the coming years," Dr. Hernandez stated. "The purchase of this property will not impact any of our current operations in New Smyrna Beach. We remain steadfastly committed to serving the community, and since joining the AdventHealth family in 2016, we have made significant investments in renovating the hospital’s emergency department and updating the interior and exterior of the building, as well as improving the hospital’s overall infrastructure."
The property is a portion of an 844 acre property purchased by Geosam in 2014 for $6 million, with about half of the property available for development due to numerous wetlands, as described in an article in the News Journal on December 19, 2014. The property was later annexed into the City and the northern portion includes land that was developed for the Coastal Woods subdivision.
The Geosam Capital US (Atlanta) LP website (www.geosamus.com) states that the firm was founded in 2012 by a prominent real estate developer from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada with a portfolio that includes properties in Charlotte, North Carolina; Atlanta Georgia; and New Smyrna Beach, with condo developments in Tampa, Orlando, St. Petersburg and Fort Myers. “Geosam has strategically positioned itself in markets that we believe hold tremendous value. As the economics become more favorable for homebuilders and home-buyers, we will execute our long-term development plan bringing growth and value to our markets and within our communities.“
Canal St featured in News Journal You Tube
Canal St Businesses are featured in a You Tube video authored by the Daytona Beach New Journal and posted January 29 entitled “Business booming on Canal Street in New Smyrna Beach”. A similar article was the lead story in the February 2 Business section of the newspaper.
March 3 Career Fair
The City is sponsoring a career fair to connect local employers and job candidates on Tuesday, March 3 from 10 am – 2 pm, at the Babe James Community Center. To apply for booth space contact Irma Terry at 314-4849 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Second Wednesday Club
The next meeting will be Wednesday, February 12 at 5:30 pm at the Half-Wall Brewery, 1887 SR 44 next to the Harley Davidson store. Dynamic speaker Lou Paris, Director of the Prince Entrepreneurship Program at Stetson University will return. The Second Wednesday Club is a small business owner and start-up meet-up held the Second Wednesday of each month. Order off the menu & pay for your order. No reservations required! Check out the group’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Second-Wednesday-Club-of-Southeast-Volusia-2048020132078476/. Contact: Jim Long at 386-402-0071.
City Economic Development Advisory Board Meeting
The branding of the Riverside Garden District and a discussion on how the City can brand commercial districts are topics for the next meeting of the City’s Economic Development Advisory Board to be held on Wednesday, February 19 at 6 pm in the City Commission Chambers. Contact Tony Otte: email@example.com.
SBA funds are available for Hurricane Dorian Repairs
SBA loan funds are available for Hurricane Dorian Disaster Assistance: The deadline to apply is August 13, 2020. Applicants may apply online using the Electronic Loan Application: www.DisasterLoan.sba.gov. Call: 1-800-659-2955.
Phil Veski will be the interim contact person for CRA matters after February 21. Tony Otte is retiring from the City on that date. Phil can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-2614.
Private Property Projects
- Hyatt Place Hotel (proposed for the property behind Dunkin Donuts on Third Ave, the site of the vacant former retail center that included most recently an Outback Restaurant, now closed) – Site Plan under review.
- Starbucks (proposed for the site of the NSB Sea Shack Restaurant on Third Ave) – Site Plan under review.
- Tractor Supply (proposed for SR44 at Corbin Park Rd, Southeast corner) – under construction.
- Riverwalk Condos, NW area of North Causeway: construction continues on several buildings. One of the units was featured in the most recent Parade of Homes.
- Canal Street Pavilion: the former movie theatre space on the NE corner of Canal and Orange has been renovated. Owner Dick Rosedale has one office space upstairs still available for lease: 956-0668.
- New Commercial Building at 701 E Third at Saxon (east bound side of street): two units left to lease for professional office, retail, or restaurant: 690-1636.
- Blue Ocean Dermatology is constructing two professional office buildings at the NE corner of W Canal and Duss St.
- Beacon Apartments at SR 44 and Glencoe Rd (SW corner): Development with 253 apartments, now under construction.
- Assisted Living Facility, 115 Washington St in Canal St area on Alba Court site: 104 bed facility now under construction.
- Tabby House mixed use development between Canal St & City Hall: 12 of the 17 lots are either complete or under construction.
- The “Weeping Mortar Building” North of City Hall: This major renovation project is now underway and is scheduled for completion in about 12 months. The parking lot east of the building will be closed during construction. Following renovation this building will house the City Commission Chambers, and the Planning, Engineering, and Building departments which will move from their current location at 2650 US 1.
- FDOT project on US 1, from Julia to Andrews with significant work at the Canal St intersection: now under construction with completion being re-scheduled for late fall, 2020.
- 5th St. Bridge Replacement in coordination with FDOT: in design.
- Alonzo “Babe” James Community Center Splash Pad: This project is moving forward with an anticipated completion in early summer.
- Women’s Club Building Improvements: in design.
- Old Fort Park Wall: design complete, bidding soon; partial grant funding approved.
- Public Parking lot to serve Pettis Park and the Black Heritage Museum: Property at the SE corner of Duss and Jefferson Streets has been purchased by the City’s CRA for the planned construction of a public parking lot. The project is now in the final stages of design.
- Affordable Housing: FIRST DUPLEX COMPLETE at the corner of Julia and Dimmick Streets, a partnership with the NSB Housing Authority, Volusia County, and the City of New Smyrna Beach CRA. A second duplex is being planned.
- Brannon Civic Center: this “signature” New Smyrna Beach facility is available to rent for your event, meeting, or seminar! Call Shonna Green, Center Manager, at 410-2880 or go to http://www.cityofnsb.com/126/Rental-Facilities. The website includes room capacities and rates.
- BUSINESS RESOURCES FOR YOU!
- Florida Virtual Entrepreneur Center: a valuable website for start-ups and small business owners. The City of New Smyrna Beach is a FLVEC member, so entrepreneurs within the City can have a profile posted on the FLVEC website, no charge. Contact: www.flvec.com/Volusia; or call 386-310-8781.
- City of New Smyrna Beach: free pre-application meetings with the City’s development review team; information on residents in 1-3-5 mile rings needed for business plan preparation; traffic counts on county and state roads, and other useful business information. Contact: Tony Otte CEcD (contact info below).
- SCORE: business training classes & individual, confidential business consulting. Contact: Lillian Conrad CPA: 409-7881; Website: www.volusiaflaglerscore.org.
- Daytona State College Small Business Development Center: offers services for established businesses. Website: www.sbdcdaytona.com or call (386) 506-4723.
- New Smyrna Beach Visitor’s Bureau offers web listings for tourism industry partners on the Visitor’s Bureau website; restaurants with a Facebook page should forward automatically to the Bureau’s “Eat” section. Contact David Villegas: email@example.com
- The Southeast Volusia Chamber of Commerce: provides many valuable opportunities for training, networking, and special events. Contact: David M. LeBlanc, 428-2449, firstname.lastname@example.org; www.sevchamber.com
- Volusia County Department of Economic Development: various business expansion services, exporting help (386) 248-8048; www.floridabusiness.org
- Innovate Daytona: this 501(c)(3) group serves all of Volusia County with activities including the weekly One Million Cups in Daytona. Website: www.1MMCDB.com.
- Daytona State College: free seminars. Website: www.daytonastate.edu/cbi/ Contact Joanne.Parker@Daytonastate.edu or (386) 506-4224
- Online Business Research Tool: users can create customizable report content with information about demographics, employment, housing, spending, and education. Learn more at https://tinyurl.com/y94kmjru
- Assistance with hiring employees: Career Source Flagler Volusia: (386) 323-7001, website: www.careersourcefv.com/
For further information contact Tony Otte CEcD at email@example.com or 566-3941
After Feb. 21, for CRA matters contact Phillip Veski at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-2614