Built in 1926, the first New Smyrna Beach Police Department was located behind Fish Memorial Hospital on South Palmetto Avenue.
A new facility was built in 1972 at 1400 North Dixie Freeway. It housed a fire station, municipal court and a jail. As years passed, the building was transformed into a Police and Fire Station.
In October, 2004, voters' approved a bond referendum for the construction of new public safety facilities, with the inclusion of the Police Department. The new station is just west of previous location on Industrial Park Avenue. For the greater part of 2005, City staff and departmental employees have been worked diligently with KZF Design to meet all appropriate standards for Police facilities, anticipated future growth, and most importantly, a city building in character with the flavor of New Smyrna Beach. As the City continues to grow with annexations, corresponding construction and an ever-increasing population, the Police Department and personnel are committed to meeting these challenges.