508 North Riverside Drive (The Everglades / Billings House / Davis House)
The structure was built in approximately 1893 and is a contributing structure in the New Smyrna Beach National Register of Historic Places Historic District. The building is located in the Dougherty Subdivision surveyed by J.W. Douglas in 1883 for Charles Dougherty. It was probably built by C.H. and S.M. Smith soon after they acquired the one acre lot from John H. Barber in 1893 for $1,005. The Smiths sold the house in 1901 to Robert B. White of Monmouth County, New Jersey, for $2,300. White later transferred the title to Mary B. Billings, also from Monmouth County, in 1901. In 1906, the Billings sold the house to Mary Davis and Emma Reed, both from Sullivan, Indiana, for $5,000. The new owners nicknamed their winter estate, the "Everglades." Reed later sold her half interest in the property to Davis' husband Charles in 1918. In 1922, John W. Riley, also from Indiana, acquired the property from the Davises. Riley, in turn, later sold the house to Catherine DeBolt of Ohio in 1924.
The Neoclassical style of architecture became the most popular style for commercial and government buildings, such as banks and courthouses. Its application to residential houses is less common.