Donnadine Miller Memorial Historic Preservation Award
The Historic Preservation Commission annually accepts nominations for the Donnadine Miller Memorial Historic Preservation Awards. Buildings 50 years and older or sites associated with a historic event are eligible.
The Historic New Smyrna Beach Preservation Commission (HPC) annually accepts nominations for the Donnadine Miller Memorial Historic Preservation Award. The purpose of the award is to promote pride in our past by increasing awareness and appreciation for the buildings and sites that contribute to the heritage and character of New Smyrna Beach. Buildings 50 years and older or sites associated with a historic event are eligible.
Donnadine Miller was an extremely active member of the New Smyrna Beach community. She had served as Chair of the HPC; worked as an amateur archaeologist; was a working member of the Greyhound Pets of America - Daytona Chapter; was a member of the Southeast Volusia Audubon Society, and regularly volunteered for and participated in numerous other events and activities. Donnadine Miller was generous with her time, quick to lend support to causes she believed in, and was a tremendous asset to the New Smyrna Beach community. She is truly missed.
Owners of buildings 50 years and older, residential or non-residential, or sites associated with a historic event are invited and encouraged to nominate their properties by completing a nomination form available in Development Services, 214 Sams Ave., or at the New Smyrna Museum of History, 120 Sams Ave.
The HPC evaluates the nominations and recommends that the Mayor and City Commission present a bronze plaque to the owners based on the following criteria:
- Historic Significance – Reflects the original architecture, use of appropriate materials/colors, and promotes and reflects the historic nature of New Smyrna Beach (30 points)
- Charm – Aesthetic value (20 points)
- Landscaping – Use of native landscape material and aesthetically pleasing (10 points)
2013 Residential Winner: 508 Ball St.
The building receiving the residential 2013 Donnadine Miller Memorial Historic Preservation Award was built around 1910 and is located at 508 Ball Street. The building was constructed in the Frame Vernacular style, and was remodel inside and outside to reflect the original condition with modern appliances.
2013 Non-Residential Winner: Chamber of Commerce Building, 115 Canal St.
This property is the New Smyrna Beach Chamber Building. It was completed circa 1935 and remained unaltered throughout World War Two. The architectural significance of the building is associated with its original details, symmetry and materials. The historic significance of the building is associated with Depression Era construction particularly as a Federal Emergency relief Act (FERA) project. Restoration was begun in 2010 with stabilization of the building’s exterior and continued into 2012 with restoration of the Board Room and adjoining offices. ECHO Funding was provided by Volusia County and matched by the City of New Smyrna Beach.
2012 Residential Winner: 614 Faulkner St.
The building receiving the residential 2012 Donnadine Miller Memorial Historic Preservation Award was built in 1915 and is located at 614 Faulkner Street. The building, which was constructed in the Frame Vernacular style, was originally used as an office for the surrounding orange groves that once thrived in this area of the City.
2012 Non-Residential Winner: Night Swan Bed & Breakfast, 512 S. Riverside Dr.
The building receiving the non-residential 2012 Donnadine Miller Memorial Historic Preservation Award was built in 1906 and is located at 512 South Riverside Drive- better known as the Night Swan Bed and Breakfast. The building at 512 was purchased in 1990 by yhe Nighswonger family for the express purpose of creating an authentic opportunity for guest to tale a step back in time.
2011 Non-Residential Winner: Aberle Antiques, 405 Canal St.
The winner of the 2011 Donnadine Miller Memorial Historic Preservation Award for non-residential buildings is Aberle Antiques, which was built in 1903, and is located at 405 Canal Street. The building was originally constructed as an Italianate Victorian home. The property has been repurposed as a commercial entity while retaining the original style and architecture of the structure. The work done on this site not only includes the restoration of the building on the site, but also includes restoration of the onsite gardens and fountain.
2010 Residential Winner: 821 Live Oak St.
The current owners are Claire and Edgar Gilbert. It was originally owned by the Armstrong family, who were the owners of the Bond-Howell Lumber Company, witch was located in the 700 block of Live Oak Street. The house is now eight-five years old and has been well maintained and retains the original architectural features from when it was built.
2010 Non-Residential Winner: The Woman's Club, 403 Magnolia St.
The Woman’s Club, which was built in 1924 and is located at 403 Magnolia Street has recently had new doors installed, which match the style of the original doors, the exterior has been painted, and new windows installed which match the original style as well. The building is also one of the few examples of Mediterranean Style architecture in the City and has been well maintained and is still used regularly by a variety of clubs and civic groups.
2009 Residential Winner: 1201 Magnolia St.
The building was built in 1926 in the Dutch Colonial style. There is also a detached carriage house on the property with an apartment above. The current owner, Lori Retz, is only the third owner of the house in 83 years. It was originally owned by the Magruder family. Mr. Magruder is thought to have been the manager of a nearby orange grove, owned by a relative of John D. Rockefeller. The Magruder family’s caretaker lived in the apartment above the carriage house for a number of years.
Both buildings have been meticulously maintained. There are also several beautiful oak trees on the property, as well as numerous palms and shrubs, creating an aesthetically pleasing appearance.
2009 Non-Residential Winner: Dairy Queen, 729 N. Dixie Fwy.
The building was built in 1953. Jason McGuirk, owner, recently refurbished the building, and spent a great deal of money and effort ensuring that the appearance of the building was not significantly altered. The original sign has been restored, and while a new awning was added to the building, it closely mimics the original awning that was on the building.
The parking lot was also expanded, but Mr. McGuirk was careful to keep the large live oak trees on the property, which provides shade for customers and maintains a beautiful, park-like appearance on the property.
2008 Residential Winner: 1705 S. Atlantic Ave.
The structure was built in approximately 1885 in what was then “Coronado Beach.” The house was originally on the east side of Hill Street, but the developer, Allan Koch of Volusia Properties, agreed to move the house to its present location on South Atlantic Avenue. The house was thoroughly restored, and is used today as the recreation facility for the Malibu Condominium. The house retains many of its original features, and is one of the surviving structures from the 19th century Coronado Beach settlement.
2008 Non-Residential Winner: Little Drug Company, 412 Canal St.
The structure was built in 1923 and is a contributing structure in the New Smyrna Beach National Register of Historic Places Historic District. Over the years, it has been the Smyrna Theatre; the Victoria Theatre; the Rexall Little Drug Company; and has been simply “Little Drug Co.” since the exterior was thoroughly restored in 1991.
2007 Residential Winner: 608 Magnolia St.
The structure was built in 1911 and is a contributing structure in the New Smyrna Beach National Register of Historic Places Historic District. The owners, Jim Murphy and Trish Thompson, bought the residence in 1989 and subsequently purchased and preserved the home.
The Folk Victorian style of architecture was a popular residential style between 1880 and 1910. This building is a distinct reminder of the cultural heritage of New Smyrna Beach, and it is a strong example of this style of architecture.
Jane Poorbaugh Whitten, daughter of a previous owner and occupant until 1947, nominated the structure.
2007 Non-Residential Winner: St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 1650 Live Oak St.
The structure was built in 1907 and is one of the oldest churches in the central diocese. They will be celebrating the Centennial Anniversary of the building this year. The architectural style is Gothic Revival and the structure has been recently painted and roofed in preparation of the celebration.
The structure was originally located at the intersection of Palmetto and Downing Streets.
John C. Palmer, Senior Warden, nominated the structure.
2006 Residential Winner: 701 Magnolia St.
The structure was built in 1916 and is a contributing structure in the New Smyrna Beach National Register of Historic Places Historic District. The structure was the subject of a 2002 demolition request to the Historic Preservation Commission by a previous owner. Following a visit by staff from the State Division of Historic Resources, and discussions with City staff, the applicant withdrew her request for demolition. The subsequent owner purchased and restored the home.
The Bungalow, or Craftsman, style of architecture was a popular residential style between 1905 and 1930. This building is a distinct reminder of the cultural heritage of New Smyrna Beach, and it is a strong example of this style of architecture. The property has also obtained a local landmark designation.
2006 Non-Residential Winner: Mary S. Harrell Black Heritage Museum
This structure was originally constructed by the Sacred Heart Parish as St. Rita’s Church in 1899 on Faulkner Street. When the parish built a new church, the building was moved to the Westside Neighborhood and served as a school and daycare center during the 1950s and 1960s. The building was vacant until a 1999 restoration.
The Centennial Celebration was held on December 11, 1999, and officially opened the Black Heritage Museum. The museum contains memorabilia and artifacts used to educate citizens and students about the history and race relations in small town Florida during the 20th Century. The property has also obtained a local landmark designation.
2005 Residential Winner: 601 Faulkner St.
The structure was built in approximately 1906. The house has been thoroughly restored and retains many of its original features. This is the only remaining structure from the estate of Washington Connor, a pillar of the community’s history. This building previously served as the office and workshop of the "Ronnoc Grove Company."
2004 Residential Winner: 426 S. Riverside Dr.
The structure was built in approximately 1909 and is a contributing structure in the New Smyrna Beach National Register of Historic Places Historic District. The owners, Bob and Joyce Hopkins, purchased the residence in 1997 and preserved the home.
Dubbed “Salt-Aire,” it looks essentially the same as it did when Fredrick Whitaker built it. Work was done to restore and update the structure over the years, but much of the structure is original. For instance, most of the windows, stained glass, and flooring are original, as well as the newel post and lamp, the fireplace, picture rails throughout the house, the carriage house (also a contributing structure), and even the sink on the back porch.
2003 Residential Winner: 213 Washington St.
The structure was built in approximately 1890 and is a contributing structure in the New Smyrna Beach National Register of Historic Places Historic District.
The Carpenter Gothic style of architecture became common in North America in the late nineteenth century. These structures adapted Gothic elements such as pointed arches, steep gables, and towers to traditional American light-frame construction.
2002 Residential Winner: 508 N. Riverside Dr.
The structure was built in approximately 1893 and is a contributing structure in the New Smyrna Beach National Register of Historic Places Historic District. The building is located in the Dougherty Subdivision surveyed by J.W. Douglas in 1883 for Charles Dougherty. It was probably built by C.H. and S.M. Smith soon after they acquired the one acre lot from John H. Barber in 1893 for $1,005. The Smiths sold the house in 1901 to Robert B. White of Monmouth County, New Jersey, for $2,300. White later transferred the title to Mary B. Billings, also from Monmouth County, in 1901. In 1906, the Billings sold the house to Mary Davis and Emma Reed, both from Sullivan, Indiana, for $5,000. The new owners nicknamed their winter estate, the "Everglades." Reed later sold her half interest in the property to Davis' husband Charles in 1918. In 1922, John W. Riley, also from Indiana, acquired the property from the Davises. Riley, in turn, later sold the house to Catherine DeBolt of Ohio in 1924.
The Neoclassical style of architecture became the most popular style for commercial and government buildings, such as banks and courthouses. Its application to residential houses is less common.