Diversity & Inclusion Committee
The mission of the City of New Smyrna Beach's Diversity & Inclusion Committee is to promote a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment where employees can bring their full selves to work where their differences will be embraced and encouraged.
- Strive for a diversified organization that will represent the diverse communities and citizens we serve.
- Build inclusive teams and cultivate a sense of belonging by educating and facilitating the removal of bias and barriers.
- Enhance employee engagement and moral.
- To expand community engagement and impact.
Our aspiration is to lead and advocate for a better shared future.
- Create a more inclusive workforce for retention of employees of underrepresented groups and increase representation for racial/ethnic minorities in director positions to 30% over the next five years.
- Measures: Invite those minorities in leadership positions to complete a survey that would assist the city with solutions to underlying issues and/or concerns regarding diversity and inclusion within management roles.
- Assess whether current policies, practices, and procedures are inclusive and sensitive to the various cultures in our city.
- Measures: Committee will review current policies, practices, and procedures making recommendations to senior management.
- Ensure interviewing panel is diverse on a variety of levels (e.g. gender, age, ethnicity) to gain broader perspective of candidates’ qualifications.
- Measures: Work with recruiter early in the process to get support to diversify the panel.
- Develop, improve and/or modify promotional materials so that they are culturally sensitive and accessible to all target groups.
- Measures: Make a concerted effort to review and modify the city’s website and marketing materials to show more inclusive images and highlight notable accomplishments by leaders in underrepresented groups.
- Offer trainings on enhanced internal communication via phone, email, or in-person interactions with all city staff. This would provide better collaboration among internal employees where we can understand various communication styles among employees at all levels.
- Measures: Bring in experts in organizational business process improvement to facilitate meetings, activities and training.
- Anvar Abrorkhujaev
- Christopher Edwards
- James Daniels
- Chris Dymond
- Travis Kendrick
- Heather Kidd
- Danielle Larkowski
- Tracy London
- Mike Lynn
- Darryl Pierce
- Rick Ramirez
- Khalid Resheidat
- Robert Salazar
- Annette Scott
- Sharon Taylor-Harding
- Irma Terry