Download a PDF of this New Resident Checklist here
Choose a neighborhood & find a new home
A real estate agent can act as a neighborhood guide, as well as facilitate buying or renting your new home. Consult with the New Smyrna Beach Board of REALTORS for real estate agents, homes, and community information.
Download a PDF version of this map here
Find employment or start your own business
Now that you know where you're going to live, chances are you'll need to find a job. The City of New Smyrna Beach lists government employment opportunities and major private employers include:
- Publix Supermarkets, Inc.
- Walmart Associates, Inc.
- Home Depot USA, Inc.
- Ocean View Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Epic Aviation, Inc.
- CBM Management, Inc. (The Breakers & Half Wall restaurants)
- Clancy's Cantina, Inc.
- Sun Coast Roofing Services, Inc.
- Norwoods, Inc.
If you're looking to start your own business, New Smyrna Beach offers a number of tax advantages, including the fact that there is no local corporate tax, a very low state corporate tax, and no state personal income tax. Let our Economic Development & CRA Director and New Business Coordinator both offer tips and technical assistance to help you get started.
Research schools & education opportunities
There are both public and private school options located throughout New Smyrna Beach. Offering education from Kindergarten through 12th grade, Volusia County Schools has an interactive map where you can plug in your home address to find schools in your neighborhood.
For continuing education opportunities, New Smyrna Beach is also home to the Daytona State College New Smyrna Beach-Edgewater Campus.
Set up utilities & get settled in
Read on for a short checklist of utility and service companies.
- Electricity: Utilities Commission New Smyrna Beach provides an online system for opening an electric service account.
- Water: To apply for water and sewer service, visit the Utilities Commission New Smyrna Beach.
- Trash & Recycling: Please visit our Solid Waste Services page for collection schedules, curbside guidelines, and more.
- Telephone, Internet, & Cable: Spectrum offers bundled packages for residents who need phone, internet, and cable TV services. Dish offers Florida residents standard or custom TV packages to suit your needs and interests.
- Mail Forwarding: Change your address and set up mail forwarding with the U.S. Postal Service.
- Newspaper Delivery: Daytona Beach News-Journal and Hometown News Volusia offer newspapers and publications both in print and online.
- Register to Vote: Fulfill your civic duty and register to vote in Volusia County.
If you're moving to New Smyrna Beach from out of state or another country, you'll need a Florida driver's license and Florida tags for your vehicle from the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles department. Please visit Votran for county-wide public transit options, including a step-by-step trip planner.
Find your local bank & healthcare providers
For your personal and business banking needs, there are a number of established banks to choose from including Bank of America, Regions Bank, SunTrust, and more.
Healthcare providers include AdventHealth New Smyrna Beach and Florida Health Care Plans. Be sure to check your insurance plan and coverage. Research which doctor's offices and medical care facilities are part of your in-network providers and this will help you avoid paying higher rates for out-of-network care.