Mayor Fred Cleveland
Mayor Fred Cleveland was elected in 2022. Fred is grateful for the opportunity to serve this community and is passionate about the future of New Smyrna Beach. He looks forward to partnering with city and community leaders and local residents to "Protect, Evolve, and Unite" New Smyrna Beach.
Fred and his wife, Amy, grew up in Ormond Beach. After graduating from Seabreeze Senior High School, Fred was appointed to the US Naval Academy in Annapolis. Following graduation, he successfully served 28 years in Naval Aviation in leadership roles across the globe. Captain Cleveland retired from the Navy and was recruited into commercial aviation. Fred served as a member of American Airlines’ Executive Leadership team and as the Chief Operating Officer of WestJet Airlines in Alberta, Canada. Finishing out his professional career, Fred put his 30 years of aviation, logistics and leadership experience to work at Price Waterhouse Coopers US Transportation and Logistics practice where he advised global airline clients in addressing complex business challenges. During his professional career, Fred earned an MBA in material logistics from the Naval Postgraduate School and a PhD in Business (Organizational Behavior) from Oklahoma State University.
In 2015, the Clevelands returned full time to the area to be closer to family, carefully choosing New Smyrna Beach as their home. In his personal time, Fred most enjoys being on the water with Amy whether it’s cruising, kayaking, swimming, or his greatest passion, sailing. Fred is incredibly proud of his three daughters and three young grandchildren, as well as his extraordinary mother who continues to play an active role in the local community.
Meet the Mayor at the Farmers Market
Meet and share your insights with Mayor Cleveland when he hosts a table at the New Smyrna Beach Farmers Market in front of City Hall at 210 Sams Ave. on the first Saturday of each month from 7 a.m. to noon. Accompanying the mayor at each informal outing will be a different senior city staff member.
- Jan. 7: Deputy Fire Chief Dan Harshburger
- Feb. 4: Finance Director Natalia Eckroth
- March 4: City Manager Khalid Resheidat
- April 1: Capital Improvement Projects Manager Todd Alexander
- May 6: City Clerk Kelly McQuillen
- June 3: Information Technology Director Thomas Farmer
- July 7: Leisure Services Director Robert Salazar
- Aug. 5: Economic Development Director Christopher Edwards
- Sept. 9: Chief of Police Eric Feldman
- Oct. 7: Airport Manager Arvin Weese
- Nov. 4: Assistant City Manager Ron Neibert
- Dec. 9: Maintenance Operations Director David Ray