Solid Waste Services
News & Updates
- Holiday Schedule: There will be no solid waste collection on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, Nov. 24. The makeup day to bring your solid waste to the curbside will be Saturday, Nov. 26.
- New user charges for collection of garbage and household trash, yard trash, and household receptacles set to go into effect Oct. 1, 2022
Solid Waste Services
Waste Pro USA provides solid waste collection services in New Smyrna Beach. For questions regarding collection, please call (386) 788-8890 or submit one of their online forms below.
To set up a new residential or commercial account, please call our Solid Waste Compliance Officer at (386) 424-2207.
Collection Schedule Lookup
Use this interactive online map to look up your new collection schedule by entering an address into the blank field located at the upper right hand corner of the window.
Garbage/Solid Waste Collection Map
Recycling Collection Map
Solid Waste Guidelines
Solid waste cans and bags should not exceed 50 lbs. or 32 gallons and may be placed curbside no earlier than sunset on the day prior to pickup. Daily collection routes are active from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Food scraps, packaging, clothes, toys, small appliances, and non-recyclable items must be containerized in gargbage cans and/or garbage bags and placed curbside.
- Small amounts of wood, concrete block, drywall, plaster board, carpet, etc. generated by DIY projects must be containerized in garbage cans and/or garbage bags and placed curbside.
- Large amounts of these materials may require special pick-up or roll-off service. Please call Waste Pro USA at (386) 788-8890 or our Solid Waste Complaince Officer at (386) 424-2207 for a list of other approved commercial roll-off vendors.
- Gasoline, thinners, solvents, pool chemicals, pesticides, and motor oil are harmful to the environment and should not be disposed of with household waste. For guidance on proper disposal, please call Tomoka Landfill at (386) 947-2952.
- Paint and paint thinner can be dropped off to Tomoka Landfill’s paint exchance facility at 1990 Tomoka Farms Rd., Port Orange, FL 32128. Empty containers with lids removed may be disposed of with household waste.
- Once per year, a countywide Hazardous Waste Disposal Day is held to allow for disposal at designated sites. Notice will be posted to local media and on this website in advance.
- Needles may be dropped off in approved red sharps containers at no charge to Volusia County Health Department, 717 Canal St., New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168. For further details, please call (386) 424-2065.
- All yard waste will be picked up on Wednesday effective Apr. 1, 2020.
- Grass clippings, leaves, and other small debris must be placed in garbage cans and/or garbage bags and placed curbside.
- Palm fronds, shrubs, tree brush, branches and other yard waste must be less than 6 in. in diameter and less than 4 ft. long.
- Yard waste generated by land clearing, construction preparation, or other commercial contractor (e.g., landscaping service, tree surgeon) are required to be removed by the contractor. If it is not, additional fees shall apply.
- Yard waste exceeding these specifications requires additional fees, payable prior to pick-up. Please contact Waste Pro USA or your commercial contractor of choice for further details.
Appliances & Furniture
- Refrigerators, freezers, stoves, stereos, televisions, couches, chairs, mattresses, box springs, window air conditioning units, washers, dryers, and similar items may be placed curbside on your solid waste pick-up days.
- Doors must be removed from large appliances prior to being placed curbside.
Tires & Automotive/Lead Acid Batteries
- Leave old tires and batteries with the auto service vendor where you purchase new equipment when possible.
- A limit of four tires may be disposed of per year, either curbside on solid waste pick-up days or by drop-off to Tomoka Landfill at 1900 Tomoka Farms Rd. Port Orange, FL 32128.
- Used motor oil filters should be drained for a minimum of three hours and may be placed in an oil container with household waste.
- Used motor oil may be disposed of at 24-hour recycling igloos at the locations below. Please place used cans in the container next to the igloo.
- South Beach Fire Station, 4840 S. Atlantic Ave.
- Volusia County Public Works, 530 N. Dixie Fwy.
To increase recycling participation and keep costs low, New Smyrna Beach operates under a single-stream recycling system. This means there is no requirement for residents and businesses to sort materials into separate bins before placing them curbside for collection. Other benefits include greater truck fleet flexibility and avoiding customer confusion.
- Clean metal and aluminum cans
- Clean plastic containers numbered 1-5
- Clean paper (e.g. newspaper, white paper, junk mail, magazines, flyers, phone books, etc.)
- Clean cardboard without grease or waxy plastic coating
- Glass bottles and jars
- Windowpane glass or mirrors
- Ceramic dishes and glassware
- Containers with liquid still in them
- Electronics and appliances
- Plastic bags
- Medical sharps (e.g. needles)
- Propane or helium tanks
- Greasy food containers