Residential 701 Magnolia Street
The structure was built in 1916 and is a contributing structure in the New Smyrna Beach National Register of Historic Places Historic District. The structure was the subject of a 2002 demolition request to the Historic Preservation Commission by a previous owner. Following a visit by staff from the State Division of Historic Resources, and discussions with City staff, the applicant withdrew her request for demolition. The subsequent owner purchased and restored the home.
The Bungalow, or Craftsman, style of architecture was a popular residential style between 1905 and 1930. This building is a distinct reminder of the cultural heritage of New Smyrna Beach, and it is a strong example of this style of architecture. The property has also obtained a local landmark designation.
Non-Residential 314 North Duss Street (Black Heritage Museum)
This structure was originally constructed by the Sacred Heart Parish as St. Rita’s Church in 1899 on Faulkner Street. When the parish built a new church, the building was moved to the Westside Neighborhood and served as a school and daycare center during the 1950s and 1960s. The building was vacant until a 1999 restoration.
The Centennial Celebration was held on December 11, 1999, and officially opened the Black Heritage Museum. The museum contains memorabilia and artifacts used to educate citizens and students about the history and race relations in small town Florida during the 20th Century. The property has also obtained a local landmark designation.